Common Financial Planning Questions:
Below is a list of some of the most common personal retirement questions we have been asked: If you are looking for a financial planner to help answer your questions, perhaps we can help:
- How do I know if my portfolio is well diversified?
- What rate of investment return should I assume over the long term?
- What is the lowest and highest rate of return I should expect each year in my portfolio?
- What should my investment goals be?
- Which asset classes should be in my portfolio?
- What is an asset class?
- In what currency should I invest?
- How does currency impact my investment portfolio?
- My spouse does not know anything or is not interested about our finances and investing, what should I do?
- Is it possible to time the markets?
- What does risk mean in investing?
- What do you mean by risk capability?
- What is risk tolerance?
- Does risk only mean losing money?
- Are cash and bonds risk free?
Investment Advisers, Fees and Expenses
- Are there different types of investment advisors? How can I tell the difference?
- What is the normal cost for Investment Management?
- How do investment advisers earn their fees?
- Is it better to work with an independent investment adviser or the investment managers at my bank or a large brokerage firm?
- Why are the Swiss Banks so expensive?
- Why don’t many foreign banks like working with Americans?
SAVING FOR RETIREMENT
- How much money should I save each month so I don’t run out of money in retirement?
- How much extra should I save each month? Am I saving enough to meet my goals?
- How much of an emergency cash reserve should I have?
living in Retirement
- Should I put my entire investment portfolio into an annuity when I retire?
- Can I afford to retire?
- How much monthly income can I expect in retirement?
- How long should I expect to live in retirement?
- How do I make sure I don't run out of money after I retire?
- Does working part time in retirement make sense?
- Are there some good strategies to maximize US and Swiss social security benefits?
- What is my optimal withdrawal strategy?
- I think I pay too much in taxes. Is there any way to reduce them?
- If I want to minimize my taxes each year, what is the best strategy for my investments?
- Why did the bank withhold taxes? Can I get the money back?
- What is the difference between tax deferred, tax free and taxable accounts?
- Do I have to file a U.S. Tax Return while I am living and working outside of the US? Do my children need to file a tax return too?
- Will I be taxed in both the United States and in the country where I am working when I am overseas?
- How much money can I give as a gifts each year without paying taxes? Does it matter which country I live in?
- Do I have to pay US social security taxes when I'm working abroad?
- What’s included in the Swiss wealth tax calculation?
- Is there a treaty between the US and the country where I live?
- Do I have to file a tax return if I don’t owe US tax?
- What is FATCA? Why does it have anything to do with my tax return?
- What is the FBAR?
- My spouse is not a US Citizen. Is his income taxed in the US? Does he have to report his bank accounts?
Estate Planning and Gifting
- What happens if my spouse or I die while we are living in a foreign country?
- Is our US will valid in the foreign country?
- Will our assets be taxed both in the US and the foreign country if we pass away?
- Should we be more concerned with wealth preservation or capital appreciation?
- Is it better to pass our wealth at death or to gift some of it during our life?
- Charitable giving is important to us, what’s the best way to do this?
- I have children from my first marriage. How do I make sure they are taken care of if I pass away?
- My spouse is not a US citizen. Does that matter?
- Do I need life insurance? Do I have enough?
- What are the different types of life insurance and which one do I need?
- Can I keep my life insurance if I move to another country?
- Am I paying too much for life insurance?
- What is long term care insurance and do I need any?
- What is long term disability insurance? Do I need it?
- Do I need personal liability insurance?
- What is an umbrella policy?
Contact us if you would like to discuss these or other personal financial planning questions.